Security goes hand-in-hand with self storage — the two are practically inseparable.
Tenants store their prized and most valuable possessions with a facility, not just because it’s convenient and cost-effective, but because it’s safe.
Without a top-notch and robust security system in place, your facility will almost certainly become a target for criminal activity, shattering the trust and reputation you’ve taken years to build. While break-ins and burglaries do happen, having the right security measures and tools in place will ensure your facility sets the gold standard in your area. Read on as we unpack the:
- Top self storage security tools
- Best way to promote them to improve your online reputation and enquiry generation
Top Self Storage Safety Features in 2023
Access control is one of the first security features a tenant will see at a self storage facility. Make sure it’s Fort Knox–worthy. Operators can choose from several options including:
- Keypad entry systems that require a unique code
- Access tags
- Fingerprint scanners
- Digitised access via smartphone apps
Keep in mind that whichever system you choose, it should be straightforward to use so your staff and tenants can gain access effortlessly. Having a reliable and robust access control system will also give customers assurance that their belongings will be safe in your hands.
Lighting plays a big part in a tenant’s sense of security and comfort on site.
If your facility is operational 24-hours a day (a big selling point), having ample lighting inside and out will make tenants feel safe when accessing their units.
Motion-sensitive lighting is a top choice for many operators as it can easily detect movement and provide light when needed.
Not only does it make your facility more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly, installing this type of lighting system at major entry points outside also acts as a deterrent to criminal activity.
Individually Alarmed Units
As thieves become smarter, so too must the security of self storage facilities.
To amp up security, many operators are now fitting alarms in every unit. These alarms instantly alert the staff when a unit is opened.
If you have a particularly large facility or multiple locations, this self storage security feature can help you keep an eye on all activity on the ground.
24-Hour CCTV Surveillance
While on-site staff play a big role in the overall surveillance of a facility, they can’t monitor it 24-hours a day.
Positioning CCTV surveillance at all major traffic zones and entrances allows your security team or a professional off-site monitoring company to keep tabs on all suspicious activity happening in real time.
Cameras are also excellent crime deterrents that signal to potential tenants that you are serious about security.
Successful Marketing Strategies for Self Storage Security
So you’ve invested in top-of-the-line self storage security features to ensure your customers and their belongings remain safe and secure.
However, to really make your investment worth it you need to market it effectively.
Whether outsourcing the services of a digital marketing agency or flexing your own skills, it’s essential that your prioritisation of security is visible online to attract new customers and reassure existing ones.
Here are the best strategies to showcase your self storage security features online.
Share on Social
Social media is all about building connections with your audience.
Highlighting your security features on popular platforms like Instagram and Facebook shows followers that you care about their safety and security. This can help build trust and credibility, which equals more enquiries and move-ins.
When sharing your security on social media, remember to:
Be visual: Use eye-catching graphics, photos, and reels to showcase your security features. You could show a virtual tour of your facility, highlight your security cameras, or demonstrate how your access control system works.
Engage user-generated content: Encourage your customers to share their storage experiences on social media and use their content to highlight your security features. This is a great way to show real-world examples of how your security features are protecting people’s belongings.
Show off your staff: People trust people, so put your staff in the spotlight. Highlight their expertise, experience, and commitment to keeping your facility secure. This is a great way to add a personal touch to your social media content.
Update Your GBP Description
A Google Business Profile (GBP) is gold in the digital marketing world.
Think of it like the ultimate business directory that’s handed to interested customers in a single search.
If you want to rank here, you need to ensure your profile is optimised, and that includes your description.
Here are some tips for updating your GBP description:
- Keep it precise: Stick to 750 characters or less and include the most important selling points right at the beginning.
- Display your key selling points: What makes your security better than the rest? Emphasise these features and any other valuable offerings like a box shop or van hire service.
- Use the right keywords: Include keywords that potential clients are likely to use when searching for storage, like secure storage in London, 24-hour access, CCTV, and so on.
- Be informative without being intrusive: While you want to persuade clients to pick your company, avoid being too salesy in your description. Concentrate on offering information that is helpful, and let your defining characteristics speak for themselves.
Highlight on Your Home Page
With 2.6 million incidents of theft estimated in England and Wales during 2022, security has become a major factor for browsing web visitors. And by highlighting self storage security on the homepage of your website, you’re showing potential customers that you take their safety very seriously.
Here are a few ways you can let your security shine on your home page:
- Eye-catching graphics: Start by using eye-catching graphics to draw attention to your security features. You could use icons or illustrations to highlight things like security cameras, gated access, and individual unit alarms.
- Security features page: Consider creating a dedicated page on your website that outlines all of your security features. This will give potential customers a comprehensive look at everything you’re doing to keep their belongings safe.
- Customer testimonials: Use customer testimonials to showcase how your security features have helped put their minds at ease. This is a great way to build trust with potential customers and boost your online reputation.
Blog About It
Lastly, blog about it — just like we have!
A blog allows you to provide in-depth information about your security features, showcase your expertise, and educate your audience in a fun yet informative way.
Consider creating a dedicated blog post that outlines all of your self storage security features, such as security cameras, gated access, and individual unit alarms, in great detail.
You can also use case studies to exhibit real-world examples of how your security features have helped protect your customers’ belongings.
Don’t forget to include eye-catching visuals (infographics are a plus) and share them with your followers on your business’ social media platforms.
Having a safe, reliable, and well-protected website is just one other way you can build trust with your tenants and generate more enquiries.
At Digital First, we have a team of trained specialists dedicated to ensuring your website is a credible and effective storefront. Contact us today to find out more or get a free online audit. You can also visit our blogs for more industry trends and tips.